Cystic Fibrosis Community Care is working to keep everyone in our community safe during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. We have compiled a list of up-to-date resources on websites for you to visit, depending on what questions you might have.
This page provides links to general information only. For specific information about your personal health concerns, CF and COVID-19, please contact your CF clinic team.
See information for:
How do I find out the latest information about COVID-19?
- Australian Government’s Department of Health: COVID-19 health alert, including current advice, symptoms and information on when to get tested. You can also download the coronavirus app to stay up to date
- Healthdirect: information on visiting a doctor, getting tested, self-isolation, information for carers, at risk groups, schools and travel. You can download the Healthdirect symptom checker for comparing the symptoms of COVID-19 versus cold and flu symptoms, or use the Healthdirect online symptom checker tool
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services: updates from the Chief Health Officer, what is coronavirus and COVID-19, symptoms, reducing the risk of infection, and more
- NSW Government Health: updates from NSW Health about what is coronavirus and COVID-19, symptoms, reducing the risk of infection, advice for health professionals, businesses, schools, and more
- Comparitech has published an article about scams that have emerged during COVID-19, how to look out for them and how to avoid them.
Who can I talk to about my concerns?
- National Central Patient COVID-19 Triage Hotline: Ph 1800 020 080 – a 24 hours a day, seven days a week phone line to help triage people with respiratory symptoms and those who are concerned about contact with a possible COVID-19 case
- Healthdirect helpline: Ph 1800 022 222 – a 24 hours a day, seven days a week phone line where you can speak to a registered nurse for advice if you are feeling unwell and are not sure what you should do
- Victorian Coronavirus hotline: Ph 1800 675 398 – if you are located in Victoria, you can call if you suspect you may have COVID-19
What has my CF clinic or hospital put in place?
Do I need to change how I clean my nebulisers and equipment?
Philips has released a fact sheet about cleaning and disinfection guidance for a range of respiratory products.
Read fact sheet
Where are the screening clinics?
There are a number of COVID-19 screening clinics across Victoria and NSW:
The services are staffed by emergency department clinicians for people suspected of having the COVID-19 infection. No referral is required.
How do I find out more about self-isolation?
- Healthdirect: information on what is isolation or self-isolation and how to do it.
You’ve probably heard a lot about social distancing over the past few weeks. Have you wondered what it means from a practical point of view? If you have, Louisa Walsh has shared her approach in an opinion piece with the Heart Lung Transplant Trust Victoria Inc.
How do I get help with groceries and medication?
- Coles community shopping hour: Information on the special shopping hour for people who have a relevant Government-issued Pensioner Concession or Seniors Card
- Woolworths dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability: Information on the special shopping hour for people who have a relevant Government-issued Pensioner Concession or Seniors Card
- Woolworths priority access for online home deliveries: Woolworths have set up special access to delivery services for those in need. If you have CF, are self-isolating, and don’t have required proof, please contact your local Programs and Support Services team
- Toilet paper: CF Community Care has access to a supplier who has a limited amount of toilet paper (for purchase) for members with CF who are in desperate need. Please contact your local Programs and Support Services team if this applies to you
If your usual supermarket does not have the food items you need or can’t deliver to you, look into local businesses such as your local grocer, baker and butcher. Also, consider food home delivery services such as food co-ops and companies that deliver boxes of ingredients you prepare or pre-prepared fresh/frozen meals.
- The Home Medicines Service is a new government initiative that is available for people in home isolation and for vulnerable patient groups. This service
provides free home delivery of medications from your local pharmacies. For more information, visit the Home Medicines Service website or contact your pharmacy.
- Fast Track Electronic Prescribing: a fact sheet from the federal Department of Health about ePrescribing for GPs and pharmacies
Contact your hospital pharmacy to discuss whether they can deliver your medication to your local pharmacy to reduce your need to go to the hospital.
How can I look after my mental health?
Some organisations have online resources that may help you:
How do I get help with financial, government and legal support?
- Victorian Legal Aid: has published a page on its website that discusses the issues around COVID-19 and provides resources for assistance
How can I exercise at home?
- CFYogi provides free yoga classes to the CF community.
- Beam is a website about physical activity for people with CF that is offering a free trial of content and classes.
What is the latest information about the impact on schools and early childhood centres?
- The Australian Government’s Department of Health has released a fact sheet for schools, early childhood centres, students and parents here
- Visit the Victorian Department of Education and Training’s web page for updates related to education and COVID-19
- The NSW Department of Education and Training has information about COVID-19 for public schools here
- CF Smart: posters, videos, fact sheets about CF, handwashing, and more for teachers, schools and daycare centres
What advice is there for people talking to children about COVID-19?
- SchoolTV: a short video talking about how parents can involve children in planning and preparedness at home, assigning jobs and roles, and teaching them ways to look after themselves
- COVIBOOK: a short PDF book to support and reassure our children under the age of seven
- CF Smart: videos and information about CF, handwashing, and more for children
- Handwashing and germs videos: by CF Western Australia
What is the latest information about the impact on higher education facilities?
The Australian Government’s Department of Health has released a fact sheet of information on COVID-19 for universities, higher education and vocational facilities, students aworkplacep>
What are my rights and responsibilities in the workplace?
What is the advice about travelling?